Saturday, June 27, 2009

The First 30

As most of you know, I'm turning 30. I thought I'd share a few things I've learned so far.


1. A Relationship With Jesus is Everything, Period.
This was a hard lesson. Everything else MUST revolve around it.

2. Laugh.
People who never laugh are miserable, and don't live as long as those who do. So lighten up, life's too short to be taken seriously. Even when life stinks, laugh.
It will give you a new perspective.

3. Keep it Simple.
I spent too much time wanting bigger things, more things. What's wrong with that?
You become less focused as you have to work harder and longer to keep them. Last year, I turned down a promotion with a huge raise. Stupid? Hardly. I watched other managers who missed out on family stuff to meet the requirements of that job.

4. Family is Important.
I lost Dad a few years ago, and my Grandma a decade before that, both in their 50's.
You never regret the time spent, only what you didn't. I'm always happier with my family than without them.

5. Forgive.
Ephesians 4:32 Not only is it biblical, You make yourself sick holding on to bad stuff.

6. Try the Calf Fries.
Try new things. For the record, they taste like country fried steak.

7. Don't Exist-Live.
While it's ok to lay on the couch, don't forget to get out of the house.

8. Pick the Right Fights.
Know what is worth fighting for, and what isn't. Don't be afraid to walk from things that aren't.

Remember none of us are promised tomorrow. I'm not claiming to have everything figured out, but God has blessed me with some great opportunities. I'm loving life, and I'm thankful for everything in it. If there's something in it I don't like, I'm probably supposed to be learning something from it.

1 comment:

jennifer Nichols said...

robin! what an awesome post! happy birthday! I turned 31 today..( so you are 364 days younger than I am) :o) it's so strange that we are adults, it seems just like yesterday we were children.
I think the important milestones and life experiences you have encountered have molded and shaped you into the wonderful person you have grown up to be. Your post mirrored some great realizations that some people go their entire life and never learn.
take care!!
keep hiking!!:o)

jenny:o)